If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place. Alternatively if this is out of surgery hours, then please call 111.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. When you have confirmation the Surgery has emailed the Medical Certificate of cause of death to the Registry office you would make an appointment to attend the Registrars Office, (together with the deceased’s Medical Card and Birth Certificate, if available) for the area in which the death took place.
4. Informants/next of kin have to go to a registration location in person to complete the death registration. https://secure.kent.zipporah.co.uk/CeremonyPlanner.Kent.Live/Default.aspx or they can phone 03000 41 51 51
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If the Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 – 5 as above
Note for Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.
Bereavement can be a difficult time. It is natural for us to feel pain and other emotions after the loss of a loved one. If you feel that you would like to talk to someone, please contact one of the organisations below.
Please read the Kent Bereavement Guide 2023 for a more comprehensive guide – The Kent Bereavement Guide for 2023
Swale Helpline (Adults): 07999 362322
Or call: 0800 634 9494
Or call: 116 123