Memorial Medical Centre

01795 477764

PPG Updates

We are currently in the process of arranging PPG updates online 

Memorial Medical Centre PPG December 2020

Minutes from 10th March 2020

PPG Minutes from 12th December 2019

PPG Minutes from 19th September 2019

Minutes from 20th September 2018 PPG

Accessible versions below


MINUTES FROM PPG MEETING
Tuesday 10th March 2020
IN ATTENDANCE:
MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTRE – SHELLY MUGHAL AND REBECCA UNWIN
GUEST SPEAKER-DECLAN MEEK (DESP Patient Outreach Worker)
MEMBERS – ROY GOSLING / ODETTE BARNETT/GLENIS LINES/DILYS NORRIS/MONIQUE BONNEY/TESS
FENN
PREVIOUS MINUTES DISCUSSED
Clarification was asked as to why the medication review had been removed from some people’s
right hand sides of their prescriptions. Rebecca Unwin was not aware that this had been raised as a
concern at the last PPG meeting and therefore advised that we would look into the matter further
and update in due course.
PRACTICE UPDATE
Members were updated accordingly:
 Introduction of Rebecca Unwin who is the Practice Coordinator and Data Protection officer
as she will be attending the PPG meetings alongside Shelly Mughal going forward.
 We have a new partner joining the practice in May, Dr N Murphy, who will be working 8
sessions per week.
 We have a new salaried GP starting with the practice on the 17th April 20, initially working 2
sessions per week but eventually increasing to 4 sessions.
 Julia Davis, medical secretary, has now joined the practice.
 We have a new Clinical Pharmacist joining the practice full time on 04TH May 2020 called
Alice Lo.
TOTAL CLINICAL STAFF TOTAL NON CLINICAL STAFF
5 x Partners 14 x Patient Co-Ordinators
1 x Salaried GP’s 12 x Administrative staff
1 x Registrar GP
5 x Nurses
2 x Health Care Assistants
2 x Paramedics
Dr Benning – Locum
APPOINTMENTS
Rebecca discussed that following our recent Practice meeting we were now releasing the 7 day
online appointments at Midnight and at 08:00am 7 days ahead. This would hopefully allow patients
who could not call in at 08:00am due to work or school runs to obtain an appointment.
The introduction of a new app called Doctorlink was discussed. Rebecca explained that patients
could download the app and would then go through a triage system of questions. At the end of
these questions it would either signpost patient’s to a different healthcare service or recommend
that they see a GP, paramedic or nurse within a certain time frame. The patient could then book
directly into Doctorlink slots within our appointment book or if there were none available an email
would be generated and sent to the practice and a member of the team would book them in.
It was also discussed that in the future we may also offer video consultations as we are aware that
due to some people’s commitments it can be very difficult to physically attend the surgery.
Rebecca did clarify that these new ways of appointment making were in no way going to limit the
ability of our more elderly patients, who may not have access or knowledge of computers and
mobiles, to make an appointment. They will still be able to call the practice to make an appointment
and hopefully the telephone lines will be less busy.
PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP
Rebecca advised the PPG members that we are hoping to run a visual PPG group alongside our
regular fact to face meetings. This is to enable patients of the practice who are unable to attend the
scheduled PPG meetings to complete an online form with any concerns or ideas and we can discuss
them at our meetings. Rebecca and Shelly will enlist Fiona’s help in setting this up on our website
and advertise it on our Social media page.
DIABETIC RETINAL SCRRENING TALK
We had a gentleman Declan Meek who came in to give a talk about the services offered by the
retinal screening team. He explained that any patient that was coded as a diabetic would be flagged
straight through to them for retinal screening. Members of the PPG asked whether the clinicians
gave all the information to the patient at the time of being diagnosed as a new diabetic. We assured
them that they normally do but we would clarify this with them. It was discussed that maybe some
older people were not attending their diabetic screening as they were unable to get to the clinics.
Members of the PPG advised that there is a car service called, Swale Voluntary Service, in Central
Avenue that will take patients to their appointments if needed.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
REFERRALS
Members were concerned that patients were not fully aware of the referral system in that when a
GP refers them they assume it will be done immediately. They feel that patients should be aware
that the referral would go through to the medical secretaries and then is triaged by the relevant
consultant at the hospital as to the urgency of the referral and future appointment given on this
basis. It was agreed that the clinician would explain the referral process to the patient in the
consultation.
Shelly also discussed that we have had an outside company in to help us streamline our referral
process which should make the way we deal with the referrals more efficient.
TELEPHONES
It was also brought up that on several occasions patients were still being thrown out of the
telephone queuing system which was very frustrating to them. We were not aware that this had
been happening and therefore Shelly will contact Opus, our telephone provider, to make them
aware of the situation so they can look into this.
APPOINTMENTS
Some of our members said that they really liked the 14:00 release of appointments for the following
day as they always managed to get one but other members felt that the release of appointments
should be staggered throughout the day. This would then lead to less congestion on the phones at
08:00am and 14:00. It was raised that when they go online quite often it says that there are no
appointments available. Rebecca explained that this was because all the online bookable
appointments had been taken. Members also suggested that there should be a guide showing
patients how they can book an appointment and that this guide should also be available online. We
agreed that this would be a good idea and Shelly will work on a flow chart that we could give to
patients and put on our website detailing the different ways in which they can make an
appointment.
CAR PARK
Members discussed that the car parking wasn’t adequate for the size of the practice now and is it
appropriate to have a GP surgery here? They feel the practice needs to think about how patients get
to the surgery (as many need to drive as they live in the villages etc) and how we can accommodate
them. They would like us to address this with our CCG and Partners of the practice.
TRAINING/SIGNPOSTING
Some members feel that a bit more training may be needed for some of the Patient Coordinators.
For example, a patient missed a call back from the GP and then had to wait 2 weeks before they
could have another one. Rebecca explained that normally the GP’s would only try once to call the
patient as they are extremely busy but that we would try to put them down for a call back sooner
than 2 weeks. It was also raised that when some of the members had not been able to get a GP
appointment at the surgery that they had not been informed of the walk in service at the DMC at
Minster or the mobile units that are at ASDA and Sainsbury’s. Shelly and Rebecca will check with the
Patient Coordinators that they are signposting patients to these alternative services.
The PPG members would also like a ‘shopping list’ of services that we offer at the surgery on our
website. Rebecca has checked with Fiona who updates our website and this is on there under
services and then clinics. Fiona will update the contact details on our website for patients who are
seeking services for Mental Health and Counselling.
Date of next meeting
8
th September 2020 – The meeting scheduled for the 02.06.20 has been cancelled due to COVI-19.


MINUTES FROM PPG MEETING
THURSDAY 12TH DECEMBER 2019
IN ATTENDANCE:
MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTRE – SHELLY MUGHAL
MEMBERS – JEANNE CLARK /BRIAN CLARK/ KEN FULTON / SARA PEARSON / ROY GOSLING / DILYS
NORRIS
PREVIOUS MINUTES DISCUSSED
No matters arising
PRACTICE UPDATE
Members were updated accordingly:
 Introduction of Shelly Mughal who is our new Assistant Operations Manager 25 hours per
week.
 We have a new full time Nurse, Jessica Dufton, who will be a specialist in long term
conditions.
 We have a new Medical Secretary, Paula Pittard working three days a week.
 Janice has now left to explore other opportunities – Julia Davis starts on the 6th Jan
 Dr. Ian Gould has now left
 We have Dr. Uso Ebulue contract has finished in November
 We have a Clinical Pharmacist who is working remotely on behalf of the surgery and will be
undertaking medication reviews and dealing with new medication request which will free up
more time for GP’s.
TOTAL CLINICAL STAFF TOTAL NON CLINICAL STAFF
5 x Partners 14 x Patient Co-Ordinators
1 x Salaried GP’s 12 x Administrative staff
2 x Registrar GP’s
5 x Nurses
2 x Health Care Assistants
2 x Paramedics
Dr Mahli – Locum
CARER REVIEWS
Andy our paramedic will be carrying out carer reviews on Monday evenings to check the physical
and mental health of carers and will be able to offer support.
I.T. UPGRADE
The practice has undergone an IT upgrade over 4 days which caused a lot of problems! This has now
been completed and new systems installed. AccuRx as well as iPlato can now be used by GP’s to
send test results to a patient which is a huge bonus. A directory of services has also been linked to
EMIS so populates patient details automatically onto referral forms automatically.
APPOINTMENTS
Following results from the national survey and questionnaires that Dilys kindly gave out to our
patients, more changes are now being made as follows.
Appointments are now available for the following day and up to 7 days in advance, instead of 3
weeks, due to patient feedback. We are also hoping to release appointments more frequently than
8am and 2pm.
We are encouraging GP’s to make their own appointments for patients if they wish to see them
again.
Members were informed that we do not allow patients to come into the surgery to make their
appointments at 14:00. They will need to either book these appointments online or over the
telephone.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
NOTICEBOARD
Have added some information on Diabetic eye Screening. Members were reminded that this is for
their use and to be used as they deemed fit.
SERVICES
Shelly would like the members of the PPG to have more awareness of the services that are available.
Members agree and are happy with the diabetic eye screening service to come and have a talk with
them.
LONG TERM MEDICATION USE
Members were concerned about long term medication not being monitored appropriately and also
feel that contraindications of medications should be highlighted on relevant patient records.
Members were informed that GP’s do monitor medication and that such issues would be assessed
during medication reviews. If a GP was concerned about a patient then a telephone call would be
arranged to speak to them accordingly.
REPEAT PRESCRIPTIONS
We clarified to the group that 72hrs notice period has to be given in respect of ordering
prescriptions and that weekends are not included in this time. It was explained that if a prescription
has been ordered too early then it would be rejected unless there was a reason noted for this, such
as holiday commitments etc.
CAR PARK
Temporary sign put up in the car park until signage is changed. Members feel the car park and
surrounding areas are unsafe for patients and members of the public. It is estimated the signage
around the building is to be changed next year 2020
MEETING
Meeting days to be changed to a Tuesday instead of a Friday, Rebecca Unwin will be attending
meetings with Shelly going forward
Date of next meeting
Tuesday 10th March 2020


MINUTES FROM PPG MEETING
THURSDAY 19TH SEPTEMBER 2019
IN ATTENDANCE:
MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTRE – LEIGH O’HALLORAN / SHELLY MUGHAL/ JANICE TAYLOR
MEMBERS – BARRY LUCAS / KEN FULTON / SARA PEARSON / JOYCE WOOD / ROY GOSLING / DILYS
NORRIS
PREVIOUS MINUTES DISCUSSED
No matters arising
PRACTICE UPDATE
Members were updated accordingly:
 Introduction of Shelly Mughal who is our new Assistant Operations Manager 25 hours per
week.
 We have a new full time Nurse, Jessica Dufton, who will be a specialist in long term
conditions.
 We have a new Medical Secretary, Paula Pittard working three days a week.
 We have employed Charlotte Singleton, previously on work experience, as one of our
Patient Co-Ordinators.
 Andrew Read one of our Paramedics has now been employed on a full time basis.
 Dr. Ian Gould will be leaving the practice at the end of October.
 We have Dr. Uso Ebulue currently working for us as a locum GP on a Monday afternoon and
all day Friday.
 We have a Clinical Pharmacist who is working remotely on behalf of the surgery and will be
undertaking medication reviews and dealing with new medication request which will free up
more time for GP’s.
TOTAL CLINICAL STAFF TOTAL NON CLINICAL STAFF
5 x Partners 14 x Patient Co-Ordinators
2 x Salaried GP’s 12 x Administrative staff
2 x Registrar GP’s
5 x Nurses
2 x Health Care Assistants
2 x Paramedics
CARER REVIEWS
Andy our paramedic will be carrying out carer reviews on Monday evenings to check the physical
and mental health of carers and will be able to offer support.
I.T. UPGRADE
The practice has undergone an IT upgrade over 4 days which caused a lot of problems! This has now
been completed and new systems installed. AccuRx as well as iPlato can now be used by GP’s to
send test results to a patient which is a huge bonus. A directory of services has also been linked to
EMIS so populates patient details automatically onto referral forms automatically.
APPOINTMENTS
Following results from the national survey and questionnaires that Dilys kindly gave out to to our
patients, more changes are now being made as follows.
Appointments are now available for the following day and up to 7 days in advance, instead of 3
weeks, due to patient feedback. We are also hoping to release appointments more frequently than
8am and 2pm.
We are encouraging GP’s to make their own appointments for patients if they wish to see them
again.
Members were informed that we do not allow patients to come into the surgery to make their
appointments.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
NOTICEBOARD
Dilys was thanked for helping to re-vamp the PPG noticeboard in the waiting room. Members were
reminded that this is for their use and to be used as they deemed fit.
LONG TERM MEDICATION USE
Members were concerned about long term medication not being monitored appropriately and also
feel that contraindications of medications should be highlighted on relevant patient records.
Members were informed that GP’s do monitor medication and that such issues would be assessed
during medication reviews. If a GP was concerned about a patient then a telephone call would be
arranged to speak to them accordingly.
REPEAT PRESCRIPTIONS
We clarified to the group that 72hrs notice period has to be given in respect of ordering
prescriptions and that weekends are not included in this time. It was explained that if a prescription
has been ordered too early then it would be rejected unless there was a reason noted for this, such
as holiday commitments etc.


MINUTES FROM PPG MEETING 20TH SEPTEMBER 2018
IN ATTENDANCE
Memorial Medical Centre- LEIGH & JANICE
PPG Members – KEN FULTON/JOY WOOD/RON MORTIMER/BARRY LUCAS/DILYS NORRIS/ROY
GOSLING/BRIAN CLARK/JEANNE CLARK/DEEPAK DESHMUKH
SHINGLES VACCINATION
Brian Clark did not get offered shingles vaccination last year despite being the appropriate age, nor
the time before despite their request for same. They would like him to have it.
URGENT CARE SERVICE / SITTINGBOURNE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Brian asked if we had heard anything in this respect as yet, which we have not.
DNA’s
We advised the group that we would be displaying the amount of people who do not attend their
appointments on the screen in reception plus via our facebook page. It was confirmed that there
was no specific age group who DNA and that things had not improved despite the texting facility,
online feature or telephone system. It was suggested that we make a charge for such offenders as
do the dental providers.
Ken suggested that the texts that we send to patients has a “confirm read msg” capability as this
may help.
MENTAL HEALTH
Discussion re mental health services still not being adequate. We confirmed we have no plans to
have a mental health specialist available here at the surgery. We did advise members that we hold
MDT meetings here at the surgery and that occasionally mental health staff were in attendance to
share patient care issues. We said that ideally Social Services, nursing teams and carers also attend
meetings, however there is always room for improvement. Deepak said it is a shame we do not have
access to RIO so that info could be shared with consent of patient and that maybe this is something
we should discuss at a future MDT meeting, although due to confidentiality issues this would
probably be easier said than done.
NEW PATIENTS
Our books are still closed at the moment which has been the case for six months. However CCG are
reviewing this and things will probably change next month and we will open again. Concerns were
still evident in respect of the large amount of new housing in the area.
TELEPHONE LINES
Ron felt that as a specific line should be available for patients to phone to get medication advice as
this needs to be something you can discuss quickly. We advised that we cannot facilitate this but
that urgent matters are prioritised.
MEDICATION WASTAGE
Everyone agreed that it seems criminal that medication is disposed of rather than used by deprived
countries etc., Deepak felt maybe patients would not waste as much if people knew how much
money was being lost this way. He suggested maybe the pharmacy could provide us with such
figures which could be publicised and maybe make some people think twice. LO E-mail CCG for figure
STAFF TRAINING
Leigh explained we are upskilling our reception staff who are now rebranded to Patient Coordinators and that they were having training on half day closures. Training would include
signposting and training on how to deal with queries. Support group info such as Counselling
Services, Age UK etc will be available to Patient Co-Ordinators to pass on to patients if felt
appropriate.
Roy was concerned that if we are training reception staff to ascertain more information from
patients when they ring in, then there is a chance that phone lines would be even more tied up as
phone calls would take longer. We did advise that our msg states when and at what times it is best
to phone for such queries.
SERVICE PROVIDERS
We advised that we are trying to get an updated list of services that are available to patients from
the CCG so that patients can be directed elsewhere to appropriate services should they be available
and avoid unnecessary appointments with doctors.
Dilys did say that she felt maybe we could contact such patients and advise them of relevant services
rather than the other way round.
MENTAL HEALTH TRAINING
Ron Clark advised that mental health were offering training and asked if we were attending. We
advised we had not heard anything about this. Ron is going to find out the details from them.
PAPER MEDICAL RECORDS
Ken wants to know why we have not scanned on old paper notes onto electronic records. We
advised although this would be great, financially we could not afford it, nor would we have the man
hours to do so.
DURATION OF APPOINTMENTS
Joyce queried ten minute apps, we told her you can make double appointment if need longer. We
did explain however that our doctors are very good and do listen to patients hence over run at times
because of this!
QUESTIONNAIRE FEEDBACK
We have made changes having received the questionnaire feedback. We are now offering same day
appointments / apps one weeks in advance and also three weeks in advance. We also still offer
same day apps if avail and apps for following day after 2pm each day.
We advised that GP’s can make appointments for patients whilst in consultation room if they want
to see them again in a certain time frame.
Big thank you to Dilys for handing out the questionnaires to patients, which we feel has been a very
worthwhile exercise.
WEALDON HUB
Deepak told group (For info only) that he has joined a charity called Wealdon Hub (set up via church
although nothing to do with religion) . However this is Benenden area / T Wells. It is to help
teenagers and their families with mental health issues. We said it would be great to have this in this
area.
MISC
RON said that Dr.Khan was fantastic as was Ursula, both of whom were very helpful. Joyce was very
impressed with new receptionists saying they were both very helpful.
VIRTUAL PPG
is still being looked into by our IT person
DATE OF NEXT MEETING 6
TH DECEMBER 2018
PAGE 3