The Memorial Practice has been accredited as being suitable for the training of those doctors intending to become general practitioners. This means that the practice and doctors have had to achieve a number of standards which have been assessed by the GP Deanery for Kent, Surrey and Sussex, acting on behalf of the national organisation (the Joint Committee for Postgraduate Training in General Practice).
These are some points for your information:-
- Those doctors training to become GPs are called GP registrars. They are employed by one of the doctors here, who will be their trainer.
- The GP registrar is a fully qualified doctor who is likely to have a lot of experience of hospital medicine.
- Sometimes other doctors are also trained and supported in the practice.
- If you are seeing this doctor you can expect to receive the quality of service you would from your own GP. If you have any concerns please mention this to a member of staff.
- In order for the GP registrars to successfully complete their training they need to be assessed on their consulting skills. This is done by the appointed assessors viewing a video of the registrar’s consultations. You may be asked for your permission to have your consultation recorded in this way. If you agree, you will need to give your written permission and there is a consent form available at the desk, which you will be offered. If the doctor appears to be recording your consultation and you have not signed a consent form, then you should indicate this to him or her immediately. The recording will be used for educational purposes only. Further information about this process and the confidentiality of it, can be obtained from the reception staff.
- To ensure that the Practice continues to meet the standards for training in the KSS deanery, it, and the doctors will be subject to regular inspection visits (normally every 3 years). At this inspection another doctor will assess the quality of the patient records. If you do not want your own record to be available for inspection then please inform the Practice of your wishes, and they will be respected. Please ask any member of the reception staff for further information if you need.
Dr McLeod is an approved GP Registrar trainer.
Dr Engel is an approved FY2 Doctor Trainer.